Wednesday, March 27, 2013

tulle pom-poms + garland tutorial


DIY tulle pom poms tutorial. Use individually or string into a garland.

I promised a tutorial after my last post. It took a little longer than anticipated. I ended up having my granddaughter, Madi, spend two whole days with me. I like to give her my full attention when she visits. She's also a talker, so getting anything done is a little difficult. :) She is seriously one of the most hilarious little people I know.

Then I was called to a new position at church. I know. I did not see that coming. I loved my calling as RS Meeting Coordinator and I will miss working with so many wonderful women. More on that later.



Okay, let's get this party started.


Because I knew I would use this project often, I made a mini version of all the the pom-pom tutorials I could find. There were about six. I found this method was most simple and created the prettiest *pouf.*


SUPPLIES:
  • 6" tulle (4 yards for each pom-pom)
  • crochet thread (I tried regular thread and fishing line, but found both made it difficult to see my stitches and broke when I pulled them tight. Crochet thread works great.)
  • needle with large eye
  • scissors
  • Fishing line for garland. (I just used what was in the garage, 12 lb. test)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Cut four yards of tulle and approximately 3 feet of crochet thread. Thread your needle and tie a nice big knot at the end so you don't accidentally lose your gathers.
  2. Make a running stitch (up, down, up, down) the full length of the tulle, gathering lightly as you go. Make your stitches about 1/2" and 1/2" inch apart. Don't worry about keeping completely straight, it all works out in the end.
  3. Gather the tulle tightly on the string, making sure it's not twisted.
  4. Tie a knot with the two ends (pull together tightly), then tie a few more for good measure.
  5. Twist and pull on the layers to form a pom-pom.
Yep, it's that simple.


To make a garland, simply stitch through the center of each pom-pom with monofilament (fishing line). I use clear 3M hooks to hang mine. We leave the one in Ella's room up all the time. Both Kate and Tayler want to make garlands for their little's rooms after seeing this one. I feel some girls' time coming on. :)


MINI POM-POMS
I made mini pom-poms for our spring RS birthday party. I wish I'd known about these pre-cut 3" rolls then, it would have saved me a lot of time and grief. 


The process for mini pom-poms is the same, with one slight difference. Instead of one strip of tulle, you will cut two strips approximately 60" long, and layer them on top of each other before hand-stitching. Gather your tulle tightly and tie the string in multiple knots.


Couldn't be more darling. :)

ADDITIONAL IDEAS FOR POM-POMS:
  • Use as decor for baby showers, birthday celebrations, weddings, and little (or big) girls' rooms.
  • Attach to a dowel and add ribbon for an instant fairy wand.
  • Tie mini pom-poms to bare branches for spring decor.
  • Use to top a gift in place of a bow. (Totally doing this for birthday parties.)
  • Attach to a little girl's headband for a "pouf" of style.
Any other ideas?

SOURCES:
Paper Mart is my go-to source for tulle. The 25 yard rolls at my local craft stores are $4.99. Paper Mart has them for $1.35, and it's the same quality. The garland I made for Ella's room has 12 pom-poms, so it cost me about $3.00 to make. They also have100 yard rolls of tulle, that are a quarter more than the craft store's 25 yard rolls. Even with shipping included, it's a huge savings. (And their shipping is super fast.)

I just noticed Paper Mart has added 12" and 18" pre-cut rolls of tulle. Fabulous! Thinking mega pom-poms for Ella's birthday party would be wonderful. I'll need to play around with the length.


Also check out the polka dot tulle and shimmery tulle.

Happy spring crafting.

18 comments:

  1. I love this, it looks so cute! MIght have to try it out:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the garland idea - I hung these little poms from my baby girls ceiling and I LOVE them. Can't wait to try your garland!

    Picked up your card at BYB13 and I'm following you in every way possible. Hope you'll check out my blog so we can get to know each other better!
    Kaylynn
    AmongTheYoung.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about making the pom poms for my daugters baby shower. I might give it a try this week. You make it look so simple. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you remember how wide your poofs ended up being? I am making a mobile and 60 inches seems like a lot for what I want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome blog post, I really appreciate such quality content. For any pharma consulting services - quickly get in touch with Pharmaceutical Development Group.
    https://pharmdevgroup.com/drug-post-marketing-safety-surveillance-changes-compliance-assistance/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never in my wildest Imagination would i ever thought i will ever be cured of Herpes Simplex Virus 1&2 Not Until I MIRACULOUSLY came Across Doctor Razor a powerful herbalist, who i learnt Cured Numerous individuals Herpes Simplex Virus, So I contacted him based on the testimonies i read concerning his herbal works on the internet, I was cured by him as well After Reviewing some of his work Through his Website ; https://herbalistrazorherb.wixsite.com/drrazorherbalhome
    I decided to Contact him Through his email ; drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp him via +2349065420442 and he can cure types of diseases like HEPATITIS
    ,DIABETES,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM COUNT, HIV/AIDS, FIBROSIS, LOSS OF WEIGHT .. all thank to you Doctor Razor for your kindly help in my life
    Whatsapp him on +2349065420442. You are Indeed GOD SENT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a great article! The neatly organized content is good to see. Can I quote a blog and write it on my blog? My blog has a variety of communities including these articles. Would you like to visit me later? ν† ν† μ‚¬μ΄νŠΈ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to read this post, it’s an impressive piece. I am always searching for quality posts and articles and this is what I found here, I hope you will be adding more in future. μ˜¨λΌμΈμΉ΄μ§€λ…Έ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to found from this website blogs such a tremendous article information's. I'm getting to bookmark this website and also recommend to others readers λ£°λ ›

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. for More Details Click Here:- Change AOL Email Password

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very happy to read this one. You give also instruction about Mini Pom-Poms I really love it. You done very nice work in this article. Thanks for sharing this article. Now it's time to avail jupiter florida airport for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The "Tulle Pom-Poms + Garland Tutorial" seems like a creative way to elevate any event's decor. And as for the Cheap Logo Design Contest it's an excellent opportunity for budding designers to showcase their skills. Exciting times ahead for DIY enthusiasts and design talents! Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog highlights an important aspect of education – the best assignments help in Australia. It's a resource that can significantly impact a student's learning journey and overall success.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your writing style is so engaging, and I found myself hooked from the very first sentence. Keep up the fantastic work, and I can't wait to read more of your insightful posts! If You Want any assessment help Visit out Site AssesmentHelp

    ReplyDelete
  16. "I enjoyed the 'Tulle Pom-Poms + Garland Tutorial' article. It's a creative and fun DIY idea. Your step-by-step guide makes it easy to follow. Thanks for sharing this crafty inspiration. Now it's time to avail car service boca raton for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you looking for Financing for Dental Offices? We offer a range of financing options specifically tailored to meet the needs of dental professionals. Our financing solutions can help you purchase equipment, renovate your office, or even acquire another practice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this informative blog with us. Your blog is very useful for us.If you are looking for cdr writing services . If you are an aspiring engineer looking to migrate to Australia, the Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) is a critical document in your application for Skilled Migration. A well-crafted CDR is essential for demonstrating your engineering skills and qualifications to the assessing authority, Engineers Australia. In this context, professional cdr writing services in Australia play a crucial role in ensuring your success.

    ReplyDelete